Who It’s For
The LTK at Home for Kids is for elementary school students looking to stay on top of their reading skills. This version is ideal for students that:
- are slightly below level
- are looking for extra practice
- are motivated to get ahead of their peers
About the LTK
The purpose of the LTK at Home for Kids is to provide basic reading skills to children age 6 and older. Learning to read in English is not an easy task due to the complexity of the written language. The LTK helps students master reading using techniques to help students encode the sound–symbol correlation of letters and words. The basis for instructional delivery within the LTK is the renowned Orton-Gillingham approach, a highly successful worldwide process used since the 1930s with thousands of students with learning disabilities.
The Orton-Gillingham Method
The LTK uses the time-tested Orton-Gillingham Method to guide its instruction philosophy. This technique has a few main pillars: multimodality, repetition, and sequence. Mulisensory engagement is achieved through such activities as having students trace over letters with their fingers as they hear words spoken, so as to associate the tactile with the audible senses. Repetition simply reinforces student learning to make common pathways perform automatically. Additionally, the Orton-Gillingham Method follows a well-structured curriculum that increases in complexity in gradual steps and at appropriate times. Special education teachers know the value of Orton-Gillingham techniques, but training new staff in this method can be costly and time-consuming. This is one of the main reasons the LTK is so invaluable.
Our program uses lots of diagrams and colors. However, the program is not visually overwhelming nor overstimulating, which is important, especially for children who experience difficulties with attention.
Repetition causes the brain to remember what is taught. Sequence of instruction ensures minimal confusion. Multisensory interaction teaches to the student’s strengths while improving their weakest learning pathways.
The LTK’s top remedial and learning features:
- Adjust the speed of lessons depending on your child’s reading level
- Unique dictation exercises do not exist in any other Orton-Gillingham dyslexia software
- Instructions and dictations of lessons can be set to a much slower speed for your child to follow
- Subtitles and help in English or in your student’s native language
- Comprehensive tests now provide multiple skills scores- such as auditory, comprehension and spelling
- Trace over letters in the LTK’s interactive card deck
- Every single mistake recorded and easily reviewed over time using detailed reports
- All words in the stories heard (vocalized), recorded in child’s voice, played back and compared
- Child responds to questions by picking/typing answers
Also, our card deck is very helpful for someone who is a visual learner. The card deck has a color picture for each letter and each sound. It’s been proven to be a great learning aid for students.
See LTK for Groups if you are a tutor, teacher, or parent with multiple students. That version comes with access to the Tutor Portal that provides additional powerful eLearning options.
- The printable and virtual Card Deck are included.
- You can also purchase a physical card deck separately to improve the learning experience.
- Works on computers, tablets, laptops, phones and Chromebooks (iOS, OSX, Windows, Android, Chrome).
- Note that this purchase is non-refundable and is NOT eligible for purchase orders.